Better Government Competition
Pioneer Institute’s Better Government Competition, founded in 1991, is an annual citizens’ idea contest that seeks out and rewards the most innovative public policy proposals. The Competition grand prize winner receives $10,000; four runners-up receive $1,000 each, and other proposals receive special recognition.
For 2017, Pioneer Institute seeks to identify and promote those ideas which can ensure a better future for aging citizens in Massachusetts, and the country, through programs for housing, health care and public health as well as unique partnerships between government agencies and care providers.
Read the 2017 contest guidelines. Note: Submission Deadline Extended to March 31, 2017.
Competition winners over the years are listed below.
- 2016: Improving Care for Those Living with Mental Illness
- 2015: Reducing Recidivism Through Education
- 2014: Compass Pilot and CoPilot
- 2013: Manufacturing Revitalization
- 2012: Coordinated Care Management for Medicare and Medicaid Beneficiaries
- 2011: A Proposal for State and Local Government Pension Reform
- 2010: Containing the Cost of Medicaid by Providing Housing for Homeless Individuals
- 2009: Senior Link
- 2008: Florida Virtual School
- 2007: Unified Permitting System for The Redevelopment of Ft. Devens
- 2006: Short Trial Program for Civil Trial Litigation
- 2005: Streamlining Massachusetts Government
- 2004: State and Local Focus
- 2003: Innovative Ideas on Key Public Policy Issues
- 2001: Law Enforcement, Education, Housing, Family Preservation
- 2000: Better Government Competition 10th Anniversary
- 1999: A Wise and Frugal Government
- 1998: Streamlining Government
- 1997: Bringing the Benefits of Competition to State and Local Government
- 1996: The Fight Against Crime
- 1995: Local Solutions to Public Problems
- 1994: Welfare in Massachusetts
- 1993: Policies and Programs Affecting Children
- 1992: Environmental Policies and Programs
- 1991: Restructuring/Privatizing State Operations
Articles, blog posts, op-eds, press releases, and more!