Better Government Competition
Pioneer Institute’s Better Government Competition, founded in 1991, is an annual citizens’ idea contest that seeks out and rewards the most innovative public policy proposals. The Competition grand prize winner receives $10,000; four runners-up receive $1,000 each, and other proposals receive special recognition.
For 2015, Pioneer Institute seeks innovative ideas to improve public safety and control costs in America’s criminal justice system by reexamining policies that have driven mass incarceration and resulted in significant fiscal and human costs. Competitive proposals will include creative approaches to reducing the state and federal prison population, reducing recidivism, and addressing racial disparities in the criminal and juvenile justice systems. We seek ideas that make government more effective and efficient, protect individual liberties and make our communities safer.
The 2014 competition sought ideas to improve the public sector using technology. Competition winners over the years are listed below.
- 2013: Manufacturing Revitalization
- 2012: Coordinated Care Management for Medicare and Medicaid Beneficiaries
- 2011: A Proposal for State and Local Government Pension Reform
- 2010: Containing the Cost of Medicaid by Providing Housing for Homeless Individuals
- 2009: Senior Link
- 2008: Florida Virtual School
- 2007: Unified Permitting System for The Redevelopment of Ft. Devens
- 2006: Short Trial Program for Civil Trial Litigation
- 2005: Streamlining Massachusetts Government
- 2004: State and Local Focus
- 2003: Innovative Ideas on Key Public Policy Issues
- 2001: Law Enforcement, Education, Housing, Family Preservation
- 2000: Better Government Competition 10th Anniversary
- 1999: A Wise and Frugal Government
- 1998: Streamlining Government
- 1997: Bringing the Benefits of Competition to State and Local Government
- 1996: The Fight Against Crime
- 1995: Local Solutions to Public Problems
- 1994: Welfare in Massachusetts
- 1993: Policies and Programs Affecting Children
- 1992: Environmental Policies and Programs
- 1991: Restructuring/Privatizing State Operations
Articles, blog posts, op-eds, press releases, and more!
SUPPORT PIONEER INSTITUTE
As a small non-profit, we depend on the generous support of individuals like you to fund our important research and programs.