Pioneer staff share their top picks for COVID-19 stories highlighting useful resources, best practices, and questions we should be asking our public and private sector leaders. We hope you are staying safe, and we welcome your thoughts; you can always reach out to us via email: email@example.com.
Our Top Picks for COVID-19 Pandemic News:
William Smith, Visiting Fellow in Life Sciences: The FDA approves a coronavirus test in which patients can swab themselves at home. Vaccine candidates are being tested at record speed. Also: Can people get infected with coronavirus more than once? And, a very important story from South Korea: patients who they thought might have been reinfected were probably victims of false positives.
Michael Walker, Senior Fellow in Government Data Transparency: Don’t forget to check out our interactive map of COVID cases in Massachusetts, updated every week with newly released city and town data!
SURVEY: How will you look at commuting in the future? We’re asking over 30,000 people how their attitudes & habits will shift after COVID. Please be part of our work to understand our changing world – share your feedback, it takes only 2 minutes!
Our Picks for Public & Private Sector Best Practices:
Joe Selvaggi, Host, “Hubwonk”: Last week, Pioneer Senior Fellow Bill Smith and I interviewed Dr. Peter Kolchinsky, virologist, biotech investor and author, to learn how the SARS-CoV2 works, and the efforts to produce a vaccine.
- On the next episode, out tomorrow at 11 am, Pioneer Senior Fellow Barbara Anthony and I discuss contact tracing & containing COVID, with Drs. Sheila Davis and John Welch of Partners in Health.
Jamie Gass, Director, PioneerEducation: Join us on Weds., May 13th at 2pm for a free online summit on home education, featuring Princeton University Professor Robert George, NH Education Commissioner Frank Edelblut, and many more. Learn more & register here.
- In CommonWealth magazine, John Flores & William Donovan write, “Time for Mass. to up its online learning game.” Donovan co-authored Pioneer’s recent report on online learning with Julie Young.
- On the latest episode of “The Learning Curve” podcast, Cara & Gerard talk with UVA Law Professor Kimberly Robinson about the federal role in educational equity, and continue reviewing education news from around the nation on COVID’s impact.
- Here are five astronomy resources for parents, teachers, and students of all ages to cultivate curiosity about some of history’s most famous stargazers.
- Read about how the Founders helped end smallpox in America.
Questions for Our Public & Private Sector Leaders:
Greg Sullivan: Massachusetts’ Holyoke Soldiers’ Home is the hardest-hit facility in the country due to COVID-19. How did that happen? Watch this WCVB-TV segment on the facility’s budget, overtime spending, and questions about the care that it provided even before COVID-19.
POLL: When we re-open, are you going to be more or less likely to take the T than pre-COVID?
— Pioneer Institute (@PioneerBoston) May 11, 2020
Get Our COVID-19 News, Tips & Resources!