BETTER GOVERNMENT COMPETITION INTERNSHIP
Pioneer Institute for Public Policy Research
Job type: fall internship
Duration: flexible in the range September 2013-January 2014
Location: 85 Devonshire St, Boston, MA
About Pioneer. The Pioneer Institute is an independent non-partisan privately funded research organization that seeks to improve the quality of life in Massachusetts through civic discourse and intellectually rigorous, data-driven public policy solutions based on free market principles, individual liberty and responsibility, and the ideal of effective, limited and accountable government. We are a leading state policy think-tank, a resource for legislators on Beacon Hill and staff in the State’s executive offices, and attract more press than any other research institute in Massachusetts.
Job description. The intern will work with staff in two central areas: compiling and expanding on a database of solicitation targets and promoting the Competition through social media and e-marketing. The general tasks will include, but are not limited to:
– data entry and consolidating/expanding on existing databases;
– researching potential targets for solicitation;
– creating blurbs and social media posts;
– designing charts, graphs and other supporting materials;
– assisting with organization of solicitation effort to begin in January of 2014.
The intern(s) will be provided other opportunities to gain experience, conditional on availability and on their qualifications and career goals.
Job requirements. The ideal candidate will be a college junior or senior in political science, public policy, economics, communications, media or a related field. Applications from all majors will be accepted, but the following characteristics are required:
– excellent command of MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
– proficiency in use of social media for promotion purposes (facebook, twitter, reddit);
– experience in database management and proficiency in Microsoft Access or related database management software;
– ability to work independently with a minimal amount of supervision;
– high motivation and superior problem-solving;
– availability for at least two days a week (willing to be flexible with time).
All effort will be made to meet requirements for course credit if needed.
To apply, email a resume to email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.