Policy Research Internship: Better Government Competition
Opportunity: spring internship
Duration: flexible in the range January 2014-May 2014
Location: 185 Devonshire St, Boston, MA
About Pioneer. The Pioneer Institute is an independent non-partisan privately funded research organization that seeks to improve the quality of life in Massachusetts through civic discourse and intellectually rigorous, data-driven public policy solutions based on free market principles, individual liberty and responsibility, and the ideal of effective, limited and accountable government. We are a leading state policy think-tank, a resource for legislators on Beacon Hill and staff in the State’s executive offices, and attract more press than any other research institute in Massachusetts.
Description. The intern will learn about and be trained to use and expand on information databases designed for the Better Government Competition: our organization’s crowdsourcing program. In addition, the intern will be involved in our efforts to solicit policy proposals from experts in a wide variety of policy-related industries. The intern will also be trained in social media promotion and e-marketing efforts of the Competition and will have the opportunity to learn about non-profit marketing strategy more broadly. Throughout the internship, the intern will learn and develop hands-on experience in:
– data entry and expanding on existing CRM database;
– how to research potential targets for solicitation;
– outreach strategy for entry solicitation;
– marketing the BGC on various social media platforms;
The intern(s) will be supervised closely and will be provided other opportunities to gain experience, conditional on availability and on their qualifications and career goals. Throughout the course of the internship, Pioneer will also provide opportunities for interns to enjoy policy-related events, including lectures from government officials, tours of local historical landmarks and outings to museums with relevant exhibits.
Internship requirements. The ideal candidate will be a college junior or senior in political science, marketing, public policy, economics, communications, media or a related field. Applications from all majors will be accepted, but the following characteristics will help the intern maximize his or her educational experience at Pioneer Institute:
– Excellent command of MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
– Knowledge of social media for promotion purposes (facebook, twitter, reddit);
– General understanding of Customer Relations Management (CRM) platforms (e.g. Salesforce, SugarCRM). Experience with CRM is preferred but not necessary.
– Some experience in sales/marketing preferred but not necessary.
– High motivation and problem-solving;
– Availability for at least two days a week (willing to be flexible with schedule).
All effort will be made to meet requirements for course credit if needed. Pioneer will only accept candidates that will develop experience towards their career objectives.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.