Organization Overview and Opportunity
Pioneer Institute is a distinguished policy research organization with a track record of significant impact in Massachusetts and across the nation. Dedicated to non-ideological, data-driven research and a professional and non-partisan culture, the Institute’s mission is to develop and freely communicate ideas and public policy that advance prosperity and vibrant civic life. The Institute measures success as a thriving society in which citizens have access to excellent education, healthcare, transportation, and economic opportunity. The Institute believes in limited, accountable, and transparent government.
The Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. It was founded in 1988 and has a sterling reputation. Pioneer is well run and has a passionate staff, including recognized, first-class policy experts whose work is peer reviewed. The communications and education team effectively disseminates policy work using dynamic, contemporary strategies, with a commitment to reaching rising generations. The Board of Directors and donors are proud of the highly leveraged outcomes associated with their investment in Pioneer’s accomplishments, as well as the integrity with which it operates. For more information, please visit www.pioneerinstitute.org.
The Research Associate will report directly to the Research Director and the Chief Operating Officer.
- Degree in economics, government or public policy, minor in English preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to write effectively
- Ability to develop and implement data collecting strategies for large data sets.
- Understanding of how to extract and organize raw data.
- Knowledge in setting parameters to disqualify non-usable data.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data using statistical modeling software.
- Spreadsheet and data analysis report creation.
- Strong understanding of statistical concepts.
- Research skills including proficiency.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong editing skills.
- Reporting to Pioneer’s Research Director, the Economic Research Associate will primarily focus on and develop reports related to Pioneer’s efforts around the YTS database. YTS stands for “Your-economy Time Series” and contains annual, establishment-level, time series data on companies that are considered to be “in-business” in a given year. YTS database provides access to information regarding employment trends, establishment-level affiliations, relocation, and industrial sectors in any geographical area. The goal is to provide high quality and timely data that will facilitate the most accurate understanding of the state’s economy and make a more complete set of economic data accessible, to effect informed, impactful decisions. The public website, MassEconomix, allows users to analyze local, regional, and state data on employment, business, and industry trends.
- Act as in-house researcher for selected projects on tax competitiveness, business regulation and good government. Activities include designing and securing approval from the Research Director and the Research and Programs Committee of the board of directors, when appropriate, collecting data through publicly available databases, surveys or other data sources, analyzing the data, writing reports and helping to write press releases and social media posts.
- Assist Research Director in working with Research and Programs Committee. This work includes: scheduling and planning the meetings, following through on the advice they provide, and using their contacts to identify subject matter experts for authoring new research or for peer review.
- Other projects as assigned, including working with interns.
- Significant flextime time to be used for vacation, personal, or sick time
- 10 paid holidays per year
- 85% paid medical (Harvard Pilgrim Health Care) and dental (Altus Dental)
- Long-term disability
- 401(k) plan (Pioneer makes an automatic Safe Harbor contribution of 3% of salary; with immediate vesting)
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Pioneer Institute is an equal opportunity employer.