For two decades, any discussion of transportation in Massachusetts has focused on the Big Dig. Now that Big Dig construction is substantially complete, a backlog of projects awaits. Yet it has been estimated a funding gap of between $15 billion and $19 billion exists just to maintain our current system, absent any projects to expand it.
To properly address the transportation and infrastructure issues facing the Commonwealth, Pioneer asks the following questions:
- Does the Commonwealth have a strategic vision for an integrated transportation system?
- If so, what is that vision? If not, what should it be?
- Are the projects presently under consideration the right projects to help achieve that vision?
- Does the Commonwealth have the right set of criteria to consider whether to undertake these and future projects?
- Does the Commonwealth consider future asset maintenance when budgeting a project?
- Does the Commonwealth have an integrated program for maintaining the assets it already has?